Chicken Tikka Biryani is a popular and flavorful dish that combines two classic favorites: chicken tikka and biryani. It is a delightful fusion of tender, marinated chicken pieces cooked in aromatic spices, layered with fragrant basmati rice, and slow-cooked to perfection. The result is a deliciously spiced and aromatic one-pot meal that is sure to impress your family and guests.
To make Chicken Tikka Biryani, boneless chicken pieces are marinated in a mixture of yogurt and a blend of spices like ginger-garlic paste, red chili powder, turmeric powder, garam masala, cumin powder, and lemon juice. The chicken is left to marinate for a while, allowing the flavors to infuse and tenderize the meat.
Meanwhile, basmati rice is soaked, rinsed, and partially cooked separately. Thinly sliced onions are fried until golden and crispy, adding a delightful crunch and flavor to the dish. The partially cooked rice and marinated chicken are then layered in a deep ovenproof dish. Each layer is adorned with a sprinkling of fresh coriander leaves (cilantro) and mint leaves, which impart a refreshing aroma.
To enhance the visual appeal and flavor, saffron strands are soaked in warm milk and drizzled over the top layer of rice. Ghee (clarified butter) is generously poured over the layers, adding richness and depth of flavor. Finally, the dish is tightly covered and baked in the oven until the rice is fully cooked and the flavors have melded together.
The resulting Chicken Tikka Biryani Recipe is a colorful and aromatic masterpiece, with each grain of rice infused with the flavors of the tender chicken tikka and fragrant spices. It is often garnished with fried onions, fresh coriander leaves, and mint leaves, adding a final touch of visual appeal and freshness.
This delicious biryani can be served as a standalone meal or accompanied by raita (yogurt dip), salad, or a side of your choice. It is a perfect dish for special occasions, family gatherings, or simply when you crave a flavorful and hearty meal. Enjoy the tantalizing combination of chicken tikka and biryani in every mouthful!
Chicken Tikka Biryani Recipe is a flavorful and aromatic rice dish that combines the succulent flavors of chicken tikka with fragrant basmati rice. Here’s a recipe to help you make Chicken Tikka Biryani:
- 2 cups basmati rice
- 500 grams boneless chicken, cut into tikka-sized pieces
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 2 tablespoons ginger-garlic paste
- 1 tablespoon red chili powder
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- Salt to taste
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons oil or ghee
- 2 onions, thinly sliced
- 2 tomatoes, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped coriander leaves (cilantro)
- 1/4 cup chopped mint leaves
For the Biryani Layering:
- Saffron strands soaked in 2 tablespoons warm milk
- 2 tablespoons ghee
- Fried onions (from the sliced onions)
- Chopped coriander leaves (cilantro)
- Chopped mint leaves
- Wash the basmati rice under running water until the water runs clear. Soak the rice in water for about 30 minutes, then drain and set aside.
- In a bowl, combine the yogurt, ginger-garlic paste, red chili powder, turmeric powder, garam masala, cumin powder, salt, and lemon juice. Mix well to make a marinade.
- Add the chicken pieces to the marinade and coat them evenly. Allow the chicken to marinate for at least 1 hour, or refrigerate overnight for best results.
- Heat oil or ghee in a large pan over medium heat. Add the sliced onions and cook until they turn golden brown and crispy. Remove half of the fried onions from the pan and set them aside for garnishing.
- In the same pan, add the marinated chicken pieces and cook until they are tender and cooked through. Remove the chicken from the pan and set it aside.
- In a large pot, bring water to a boil. Add the soaked and drained rice to the boiling water and cook until it is 70-80% cooked (slightly undercooked). Drain the rice and set it aside.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F).
- In a deep ovenproof dish, spread a layer of half the partially cooked rice. Top it with half of the cooked chicken tikka pieces. Sprinkle half of the chopped coriander leaves and mint leaves over the chicken.
- Repeat the layering process with the remaining rice, chicken tikka pieces, coriander leaves, and mint leaves.
- Drizzle the saffron-infused milk over the top layer of rice. Pour ghee over the rice and sprinkle the fried onions on top.
- Cover the dish tightly with aluminum foil or a lid. Place the biryani in the preheated oven and bake for about 20-25 minutes, or until the rice is fully cooked and the flavors have melded together.
- Once the biryani is cooked, remove it from the oven and let it rest for a few minutes. Gently fluff the rice with a fork to mix the layers.
- Serve the Chicken Tikka Biryani hot, garnished with additional fried onions, chopped coriander leaves, and mint leaves. You can also serve it with raita (yogurt dip) or a side salad.
Enjoy your delicious Chicken Tikka Biryani!