Every student in a classroom has a different intellectual level. It is the responsibility of the teacher to provide each one of them with a learning environment that suits their needs. Differentiated instruction plays a significant role in achieving this goal of offering personalizing learning to students. It gives every student an equal opportunity to learn and excel without getting affected by any peer pressure.
This teaching strategy is beneficial for every student in a classroom. However, students with learning disabilities or those finding it challenging to adapt to the new atmosphere can benefit the most. The Dubai international school that uses a differentiated instruction approach gives them a personalized environment keeping in mind their individual needs. Let us discuss this teaching methodology in detail for better clarity.
Assessing Differentiated Instructions
Before the teachers introduce these instructions to their students, they should identify their needs. They can use multiple formal and informal assessment programs that help educators dig out information about their students. Moreover, they can also fetch this information during Indian high school admission by simply making the parents answer some relevant questions. The idea is to understand their learning pattern and use that information to curate a strategic teaching plan. For example, the teachers will use graphics and videos for visual learners. On the other hand, they would read the lessons loudly for the auditory learners.
Teachers should consider the needs of every child before implementing the strategy. Even if there is a minority of visual learners, the teacher has to give them equal consideration and plan differentiated instructions.
Successful implementation of Differentiated Instructions
Once you have identified the needs of every student, you will be able to curate a teaching plan for them. The last step is the successful implementation. It is challenging to cater to every child’s needs simultaneously, but it is definitely worth the effort! Some of the things you can do are:
- Refrain from going into elaborate differentiations in the beginning. Divide the instructions into one or two areas only that apply to all the students in your classroom.
- Be flexible and open to changing or upgrading the instructions according to the situation. If you see your students struggling with a particular differentiated instruction, provide them with another.
- Offer diversity to your students so that their interest in studies stays intact. If you keep trying to engage them in the same activities, they will feel monotonous and might get disinterested.
- Create a perfect balance between large and small group activities. Moreover, you should also include individual tasks in your differentiated instruction strategy for holistic development.
- It is crucial to observe how your students respond to these instructions. If you are not getting apt results, consider changing the strategy or taking a re-test to learn about the needs of students.
Understand that you should plan multiple activities and keep changing them to implement differentiated instructions. Once your students adapt to it, you will experience an exponential rise in their grasping power and overall performance. It helps promote multiple skills like critical thinking and boosts concept understanding in children. So, curate a strategy to impart differentiated instructions to your students and allow them to grow!