How to Sue the NHS in the UK: A Step-by-Step Guide to Seeking Legal Action

The NHS is a vital institution in British society, providing healthcare to all who need it. However, sometimes mistakes happen within the NHS that result in injury to patients. If you were injured by an error made by a doctor or nurse during treatment, or if your loved one died as a result of poor care – for example because they did not receive proper medication – then you may be able to make a claim against the NHS. This brief guide will explain how this process works so you can decide whether it’s worth pursuing legal action against your local Trust or hospital.

What is the NHS?

The NHS is the UK’s public healthcare system. It’s free at the point of use and funded by taxation and government grants, so you can get treatment without having to pay.

Each NHS Trust is responsible for its own budget and finances, which means that it can decide whether or not to settle your claim against them.

Why would you sue the NHS?

If you have been harmed by the NHS, then there are a number of reasons why it may be in your best interests to sue them. These include:

  • You were harmed by a doctor or nurse
  • You were harmed by a hospital
  • You were harmed by pharmaceutical companies and their products (such as vaccines)
  • You were harmed by local authorities who failed to provide adequate care for those under their care

How to find an NHS solicitor.

You can find an NHS solicitor through the NHS Litigation Authority, which is a government-funded body that provides legal advice to the NHS. The website has a directory of solicitors who specialise in medical negligence cases and who have been approved by the authority. You can also ask for recommendations from friends or family members who have used these solicitors before.

If you are unable to locate an appropriate firm on your own, it’s worth contacting your local hospital trust directly–they may be able to recommend someone they’ve worked with before (and if not, they will know where else you should look). Alternatively, contacting firms directly could be helpful too; some solicitors advertise their services specifically targeted at people who want compensation after suffering medical injuries as patients of hospitals run by certain trusts–these tend not only offer lower fees than more general practices but also provide higher success rates due having greater experience dealing specifically with these types of claims

How much does it cost to sue the NHS?

You won’t be able to claim for financial loss, such as a lost job or income.

You can only claim for pain and suffering if you have sustained an injury that has been caused by medical negligence. For example, if your surgeon left a scalpel inside your body during surgery, causing infection or other complications, then this would be grounds for claiming compensation from the NHS.

If successful in court (which is not guaranteed), you may receive an award of damages which covers:

  • The cost of any medical treatment required following an accident at work;
  • Losses relating to future earnings potential;

You’ll need expert legal advice before taking action against anyone or any organisation in the UK

What happens if I win my case against the NHS?

If you win your case, the NHS will be ordered to pay compensation. The amount of money awarded will depend on how severe your injuries were and how long they lasted.

It can take several months or even years for a claim against the NHS to be resolved in court. You are entitled to free legal advice from an experienced solicitor throughout this period, so don’t hesitate to contact them if you have any questions about what happens next or need help with filing paperwork with the court system

Can a claim be made against an individual NHS Trust doctor or nurse rather than the NHS as a whole?

You can sue an individual NHS Trust doctor or nurse. You can also sue a hospital or trust, but this may be more complex than suing the NHS as a whole.

If you are suing for damages (money) then you will need to prove negligence on the part of your doctor or nurse, which means that they did not take reasonable care to ensure their actions were safe and did not cause harm as a result of their actions.

What are the rules for providing supporting evidence in a claim against the NHS?

Before you can sue the NHS, you will need to provide evidence that supports your claim. This means providing documents and other forms of evidence to show why they should compensate you for any losses or injuries that occurred as a result of their negligence.

When making a claim against the NHS, there are certain requirements regarding what kind of supporting documents must be included:

  • The claimant must submit copies of any medical reports related to their injury or illness (e.g., X-rays).
  • If there were witnesses involved in witnessing how this injury occurred, then copies of their statements should be submitted too (e.g., police reports).

If you want to sue the National Health Service, there’s a process for doing so.

If you want to sue the NHS, there’s a process for doing so. In order to take legal action against an individual doctor or nurse, you must first seek advice from a solicitor.

The first step is to contact their office with details of what happened during your treatment and how it affected you physically or mentally. The lawyer will then assess whether they think there was negligence on behalf of their client (the doctor/nurse) and whether he or she can win the case by proving that negligence took place. If so, they’ll draft up an official letter called ‘claim form’ which outlines all claims against them as well as asking permission from both parties involved–you and whoever else may have been involved in causing injury–to proceed with further legal action if necessary after reviewing evidence provided by both sides involved in this dispute resolution process.”


We hope that this article has given you a better understanding of how to sue the NHS. If you’re looking for help with your case, our team at Legal Help UK can provide expert legal advice on making a claim against any organisation in the UK – including local authorities, schools and hospitals. Contact us today to find out more about how we can help

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Back to top button